This past week, I’ve been trying a few different things, within my own space (inside and out).. and I’ve been following the available light… or lack thereof..
This post is one where the light was very low and I was facing a South Eastern aspect (the only place I could set up, in the afternoon) – I wondered what my results might be. I thought I’d share what I found.
Using a beautiful white Ranuncula (and bud), a quirky earthenware vase, white curtains as a backdrop and a couple of different papers for the table top, I set about trying to ‘find’ what I liked.
My default is usually to look closely at my subject. I never tire of this… there is always such beauty or interest to be found… For me – this didn’t disappoint.
I needed extra light though, as the ambient light was too low. I wanted to keep my ISO low (320), so I used a spot lamp just above and behind the subject and also had another lamp set to light the ceiling (1 meter to the right) – you can see the cast shadow in a couple of images. I really could have had better light though (or chosen the higher ISO).
The lighting seemed to give some contrast and enhanced the mood I think – that of the grey day.
Next, I moved further back from my subject – something I really have to think about as I needed to stay within the bounds of my space (roughly 1 metre square).
It’s always worth having a look at the other side of your subject too! You never know..
So after trying out a few different points of view, I took the images into Lightroom. On most of the images, I moved the highlights, whites, shadows and dark sliders to bring out what I saw, instead of them being flat. Some did need a lift in exposure – they were too dark or flat – so definitely not the ideal aspect or light!!
Also, on all of the images I added a touch of red to the highlights.
So, that’s it for today – my experiments with Flowers on Friday.
I hope this might give you some food for thought – perhaps.. Have a great weekend!!